reelfoot lake tennessee
reelfoot mallards


Resorts and Lodging



Bait and Tackle

Reelfoot Maps

General Reelfoot

Calendar of

Fishing Information

Hunting Information

Eagle Information

Fishing Report




River Levels

Contact Us









January 14th, 2005
by Steve McCadams

With the beginning of the New Year comes a new law in Tennessee created with the intent of making the state’s boaters more knowledgeable of the rules and regulations that govern their waters.

The following is information about the law that should help future boaters understand how to study for and where to take a proctored exam:

The Law
Anyone born after January 1, 1989 must show the TWRA-issued wallet Boating Safety Education Certificate as proof of successful completion of the TWRA Boating Safety exam. 

No other certificate will be accepted as meeting the requirements of the law.

How do I take the exam? 
  After studying the boating safety material, you must first purchase, for $10.00, a boating safety exam permit from any business (license agent) that sells hunting and fishing licenses (Sporting goods, bait stores, marinas, etc.).

The receipt from this transaction is your "ticket" to take the exam.  Try not to lose this receipt, it will admit you into an exam location and will also serve as a temporary certificate if you pass the exam.

If you do not pass the exam, this receipt/"ticket" can continue to be used to take the exam as many times as it takes to pass.   Try not to lose it!

How do I find an exam location?
  Locations will be available across the entire state.  Lists of the locations, dates, and times will be posted on this web site or call 1-800-837-6012.


How long does it take to complete the exam?
  Allow approximately one hour to take the exam.


How long will it take to receive my wallet card?
When you pass the exam, you will receive your wallet card in the mail within a few weeks.


Other information:
If your parents or someone else purchases the permit for you to take the exam, they must give your information to the sales agent.  Otherwise the proper information will not match and you will not receive the boating safety certificate.  If you lose the card, a duplicate can be purchased from a license agent for $5.00.


For more information, visit...the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's website



 reelfoot home
Page designed by :
All contents except Mallards and David Maass
artwork are property of